- First, separate glass. Glass is a low value item and removing it before manual sorting will reduce the total volume presented to manual pickers. Separating glass will also reduce contamination of separated products and reduce chances for injury to pickers. Try to remove the glass up front by using a screen or Ballistic Separator.
- Next, use an overhead self-cleaning magnet to recover steel cans. This type of magnet will remove 1-2 manual sorters from your system and has a quick return on investment.
- Then, pick natural and colored HDPE. These are the biggest plastic containers.
- Next, pick PET either by hand -or- with an Optical sorter which can be a large investment.
- Finally, pick Aluminum or use an Eddy Current Separator.
What is the best order to sort a “containers stream”? was last modified: March 20th, 2013 by